The ‘Super Bowl’ Hot Mess
- 4 Hoagie buns or extra-long hot dog buns
- 4 All-beef wieners
- 3 cups smoked beef brisket or other smoked beef roast
- BBQ Sauce
- 2 Onions, cut into thin slices
- 2 Peppers, julienned
- 1 Jalapeno (optional), small dice
- 2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- ½ cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- Chipotle hot sauce, as much as you like
- This recipe adjusts for as many people are you need. Every component can be prepared ahead and the ‘hot mess’ heated under the broiler at serving time.
- Cut the hoagie bun in half lengthwise almost all the way through. Carefully open the bun without breaking the spine holding the two sides together. Toast the insides under a broiler. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the wieners in a small amount of oil. You can also grill them on the BBQ. Set aside.
- Shred the smoked brisket. Add some BBQ sauce to moisten the meat. Set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet that you cooked the wieners in. Saute the onions and peppers until soft but not caramelized. You can add some of the jalapeno to the mixture during cooking if you like things hot. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, yogurt and mustard. Add as much chipotle hot sauce as you like. You’ll probably need lots.
- The Hot Mess can be made up to the point and chilled until ready to serve.
- At serving time, preheat the broiler. Set the rack about 4” from the top element.
- To assemble, line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Lay the hoagie buns on the cookie sheet. Top each with a wiener then about 2/3 cup of shredded brisket then some sautéed onions and peppers, and the grated cheese. Place under the broiler and broil until the cheese and melted and gets bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and set the ‘hot mess’ on individual serving plates. Drizzle with chipotle mayo. Serve hot.