Spice Rubbed Walley
This rub is also fabulous on other white-fleshed fish as well as chicken and pork. From TASTE: Seasonal Dishes from a Prairie Table, by CJ Katz
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless walleye or bass fillets
- 1 tbsp EACH brown sugar, dried basil and chili powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp EACH smoked paprika, onion powder, dry mustard, and salt
- Oil, for coating and frying
- About 1 tsp dried oregano or other dried herb (if using fresh herbs, use 1 tbsp)
- ½ tsp Dijon
- Few squeezes of fresh lemon
- A dash or two of smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Spice Rubbed Walleye
Spiced Rubbed Walleye
- Rinse and pat the fillets dry with paper towel.
- To make the spice rub, in a small bowl whisk together the brown sugar, basil, chili powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, dry mustard and salt.
- Coat each fillet with some oil. Coat each liberally on both sides with the spice rub.
- Preheat a skillet or BBQ. Fry or grill the fish, about 5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the fillets. Drain on paper towel. Transfer to a platter and serve with an herbed mayo.
Whisk all ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasoning. Chill until ready to serve.