Pasta Sauce with Chicken, Mushrooms and Asparagus
- 300 g boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3), cut into ½” cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into about 24 thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200 g sliced button mushrooms
- 200 g fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
- ½ a red pepper, diced
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup 35% cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
- Canola oil, for browning
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- About 250 g linguine noodles, cooked al dente
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken in about 1 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion and garlic for 1 minute over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms release their juices and then all the liquid is cooked off. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the asparagus, red pepper and reserved cooked chicken; cook for 1 minute. Add the white wine to deglaze the pan and cook for several minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil and let simmer about 5 minutes. Add the cream and stir to combine. Let simmer several minutes.
- If sauce needs some thickening, mix together 1 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water. Add a small amount to the pan and stir. Continue to add small amounts until the desired consistency of the sauce is reached. Add the basil and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve over cooked linguine noodles. Garnish with some freshly grated parmesan cheese.