1.87 litres apple cider (not juice)
- 3 orange slices, plus additional for garnishing the cups
- 2 sliced fresh gingerroot
- 1 heaping tbsp brown sugar
- Few gratings of nutmeg, or a pinch
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice berries
- Pour the cider into a large dutch oven or stock pot. Add the oranges slices, fresh ginger, brown sugar and nutmeg. Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice into a small piece of cheesecloth. Tie with a string or clean twist tie. Add to the pot.
- Bring the cider to a simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes to allow the spices to infuse the cider. Remove the oranges, ginger and cheesecloth pouch. Ladle into cups and garnish with an orange slice.