Lentil and Chickpea Power Salad
The mint adds a fresh element to this hearty salad. Experiment with other fresh herbs such as dill, basil and oregano.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 ½ - 2 cups water
- 540 mL can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ an English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup shelled sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves (stem removed)
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1 tbsp capers with their juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ - 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp Indian-style curry paste, or curry powder
- 1/4 cup – 1 cup water
- Cook the lentils in the water. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, carrot, cucumber, tomato, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, cilantro and mint. Add the cooled lentils to the salad. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently.
- To make the dressing, combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender jar and whiz until smooth, adding water to make a smooth runny dressing. Pour some of the dressing onto the salad (you won’t need all the dressing; save for another use). Toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more lime juice or curry powder to your taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Toss the salad before serving.