Fried Green Tomatoes with Crab
- 2-3 green tomatoes, cut into ½” thick slices
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme, or 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- Oil for frying
- 1-170 g tin crab meat, well drained or equivalent cooked fresh crab
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup corn niblets
- ¼ cup finely diced unpeeled Granny Smith apple
- 1-2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Salt, to season
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice to thin the dressing
- Thyme or parsley sprig for garnish
- Baby lettuce greens
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, ¼ cup flour, salt, sugar, thyme and pepper. Mix well. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Place the remaining ½ cup flour in a bowl or ziplock bag.
- Dredge the tomato slices in the ½ cup flour. Tap off any excess and then dip in the egg mixture and then in the cornmeal mixture. Set aside on a plate. When all the tomatoes are prepared, fry them in a medium-hot skillet with oil. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, mix together the crab meat, green onion, corn niblets, and apple. Add in 1-2 tbsp mayonnaise and the lemon juice. Season well with salt. Set aside.
- To make the Lemon Dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon zest, minced garlic and Dijon. Add the lemon juice to make a dressing consistency.
- When the tomatoes are all cooked, lay a handful of lettuce greens on a plate. Top with 1 slice to green tomato. Top with a spoonful of crab and a drizzle of the lemon dressing. Lay another slice of tomato on top followed by a spoonful of crab and the dressing. Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme.