Fall Beet Soup
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Oil, for sautéing
- 4 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced beets
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 12 cups vegetables or chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups pureed pumpkin
- ¼-1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 heaping tbsp miso paste (optional but delicious)
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, saute the onions and garlic in the oil over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the carrots, beets, cabbage, thyme and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered for about 1 hour, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the pumpkin, ¼ cup vinegar and miso paste. Stir and let cook for about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more vinegar to suit your taste as well as salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and serving as is or with sour cream.