Carrots with Chinese Five-Spice
This is one of those go-to side dishes that can really elevate a meal. It's delicious with turkey and ham. So simple yet so flavourful!
- 6 large carrots, cleaned and peeled if necessary
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt, to taste
- About 1 tsp Chinese Five-spice* (available at most supermarkets and Asian markets)
- About ¼ cup liquid honey
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley, for garnish
- Cut the carrots into batons (sticks) about 4” long. If the carrots are small and narrow, you can leave them whole.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and then the carrots. Season with salt.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 10-15 minutes. If needed, you can add several tablespoons of water to prevent the carrots from scorching. You can also cover the skillet with a lid to speed up the cooking time. Carrots are done when they are tender and there are caramelized areas on the edges.
- When carrots are cooked, sprinkle with the Chinese Five-Spice and stir to coat them well. Then pour over the honey and stir quickly to coat and immediately remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with the parsley.
- This dish can be made ahead and rewarmed at serving time.