Bumbleberry Galette with Apricot Cream
One 10" galette
Don't omit the lemon zest...it's delightful in this open-faced pie.
- pie crust for a single crust pie
3 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries and apples such as saskatoons, blueberries, cherries, and peeled chopped Gala apples
1/2 - 2/3 cup apricot jam
2-3 tbsp cornstarch
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 cups whipping cream (35%)
2 tbsp apricot jam, large pieces removed
2 tbsp icing sugar
- Line a pizza pan or flat round baking stone with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss together the berries, apple, jam, cornstarch, lemon rind and salt. Set aside.
Meanwhile, roll out the pastry into a large circle, about 14 inches in diameter. Transfer pastry to the pizza pan.
- Leaving a 2” border, top the pastry with the berry-apple mixture. Fold the sides of the pastry over the berries, leaving about a 6” round centre uncovered. (It’s OK for the pastry to be a bit messy.)
- Dot the berries in the centre of the pastry with bits of the butter. Brush the pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle over 1 tbsp of granulated sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes then lower the heat to 350°F and bake for another 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool at least about 1 hour before eating. Serve with the Apricot Cream.
Beat whipping cream with 2 tbsp apricot jam (remove any large pieces of fruit) and icing sugar to soft peaks. Chill, or serve.