The only sugar in this delightful tart comes from apricot jam! You'll love every bite.
Bumbleberry Galette with Apricot Cream
One 10" galette
Don't omit the lemon zest...it's delightful in this open-faced pie.
- pie crust for a single crust pie
3 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries and apples such as saskatoons, blueberries, cherries, and peeled chopped Gala apples
1/2 - 2/3 cup apricot jam
2-3 tbsp cornstarch
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 cups whipping cream (35%)
2 tbsp apricot jam, large pieces removed
2 tbsp icing sugar
- Line a pizza pan or flat round baking stone with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss together the berries, apple, jam, cornstarch, lemon rind and salt. Set aside.
Meanwhile, roll out the pastry into a large circle, about 14 inches in diameter. Transfer pastry to the pizza pan.
- Leaving a 2” border, top the pastry with the berry-apple mixture. Fold the sides of the pastry over the berries, leaving about a 6” round centre uncovered. (It’s OK for the pastry to be a bit messy.)
- Dot the berries in the centre of the pastry with bits of the butter. Brush the pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle over 1 tbsp of granulated sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes then lower the heat to 350°F and bake for another 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool at least about 1 hour before eating. Serve with the Apricot Cream.
Beat whipping cream with 2 tbsp apricot jam (remove any large pieces of fruit) and icing sugar to soft peaks. Chill, or serve.