The key to this recipe is using a grainy bread, such as sourdough. Regular supermarket grainy bread doesn't work well in this recipe.
- About 10 cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt, for seasoning
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 green onions
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- About 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp pesto
- Olive oil, to thin
- 2 slices grainy crusty sourdough bread
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the cherry tomatoes on a small cookie sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt. Roast in the oven for about 5-10 minutes, until the skin just starts to split. Remove from oven to cool slightly.
- Using a fork mash the avocado in a small bowl. Stir in the onions, cilantro and lime juice. Add salt, to taste. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the pesto with some oil to thin to sauce consistency.
- Poach the eggs in barely simmering water seasoned with 1 tsp white wine vinegar, or regular vinegar. Poach to desired doneness. Set the cooked eggs on a sheet of paper towel to drain.
- Toast the bread.
- To serve, divide the avocado mixture evenly between both slices of bread. Top with the poached egg. Arrange the cherry tomatoes on top of each slice. Drizzle with the pesto.